Thursday, June 2, 2011

Cooling system mods

The engine has been running a little warmer than I would like, even with the addition of an oil cooler and dual pass radiator. A Jaguar technician named Norman Lutz figured out that that coolant inside the V12's was not evenly distributed. He found a way of altering the flow using restrictors in the external coolant manifolds. I made the mods last night and now the temperature, at least when the car is idling, seems to stay under control. I can't say for sure if the mods are what did it because I also found an airlock in the cooling system and was able to add more coolant.
Here are the drivers side manifolds before the restrictors are put in place.

Here are the passenger side manifolds after the restrictors are pressed in place. The #1 restrictor is 1/8", #2 and #3 are 1/2" and there is no restrictor and the #4 coolant passage. The restrictors are made of aluminum and I drilled the appropriate size hole in some aluminum, cut out the rough size with a jigsaw and used a hand file to get the size and shape right. They are held in with friction.

Here are the passenger side manifolds with blue silicone hose between them. The car definitely runs cooler now (at idle) but when refilling the cooling system, I discovered an airlock and was able to add more coolant than I had before. I don't know for sure how what affect that had on the engines ability to stay cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment