Friday, December 9, 2011

EFI Problems sorted

Project update: anybody who has seen the car run knows it smokes pretty badly. The stock computer was not set-up to run the 24lb injectors I have and fuel was dumping into the cylinders. I got a custom tune using a product called Tweecer and the problem didn't go away. The Tweecer software shows real time readings of all engine sensors and my MAF sensor appeared to be faulty, so I bought a new one :(  The new one showed the same low voltage and a tech at Painless (wiring harness manufacturer) said I have a bad ground.

 I re-did all the ground connections, going as far as welding bolts to the frame that are used to attach the ground straps. Still no changes in the MAF readings so I put a voltmeter on it and lo and behold, the voltage was exactly what it's supposed to be. It turns out that I got a bad version of the Tweecer software and once that was corrected, the voltage displayed correctly. Still, the engine smoked. In the process of all these checks, I discovered that I had done my initial ignition advance based on the wrong marking on the timing tab and it was around 20 degrees too advanced. Corrected that and it ran 100% better but still smoked. I assumed that it was just a bunch of oil/gas coating the inside of the exhaust and would eventually burn off. Then I noticed that my air charge temperature reading was -20 C. I was not running the car outside so how could it be -20 C degrees? I replaced the ACT sensor and voila', the smoking seems to be going away and the car runs and sounds amazing. Here is the video of a drive around the kart track: Drive and walkaround

No comments:

Post a Comment