Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Tweaks

In Lincoln we snapped a mount on the axle so I added some gussets between the housing and the lower suspension mount

Here is one of the rear shocks, mounted horizontally and at a 90 degree angle to the pushrod. In this position the suspension has a falling rate which means for the first 10mm of wheel movement, the shock moves 10mm, for the next 10mm of wheel movement the shock moves only 8mm. This is not good for handling. I could never figure out how to change it to a rising rate but today it came to me: just change the angle of the shock.
Here it is in it's new position and it now increases in stiffness as it goes through it's travel.
Here is the piece I welded in to move the shock. The old hole is the small one at the top and the new one is at the bottom
Also, when I added the sway bar I had to move the top suspension link down and this gave me 88% anti-squat, which is not ideal for handling. In order to move the link up and get 50% anti-squat, I had to reposition the sway bar which I did by adding the 4" extensions you see on the right side of the pic.

I also found this slick aluminum hinge at Speedway Motors, so now I don't have to use a stick to keep the hatch open.

No comments:

Post a Comment