Friday, August 17, 2012

Adjustable front sway bar


I have new, wider front tires for Nationals and to avoid the chance of oversteer, I needed to change the front sway bar. I had a non-adjustable one on there before and I wanted an adjustable one but buying a custom made bar was out of my budget right now. I had some Porsche 911 torsion bars kicking around and it occurred to me that I could maybe use one as a sway bar. The beauty of using the 911 torsion bar is that there are a wide variety of sizes available and any one of them will slide right in if I need to change the stiffness.

There is very little real estate around my front suspension to mount a sway bar so instead of going under it, I went over it. Finding a mounting location for the drop links proved difficult. I landed up using a longer bolt for the pushrod mount and sliding the drop link over it.

I attached the sway bar mount to the rad/fender mount and significantly stiffened it by adding the x-brace you see right behind the fan

I took the 911 bar ends and drilled them for a set screw then welded a 1/2" thick bar to them, with holes for mounting the drop links

I painted the arms pink so they would be easily spotted



No comments:

Post a Comment