Friday, September 28, 2012

Cutting the roof off

After Nationals I realized that I need to put the car on a dramatic weight loss program and I have to take out 400 lbs to get down to the class minimum weight. I have plans on how to do this and it started with removing the roof.
Here is the Pink Panther as it was raced at Nationals, 2250 lbs with me in it
I removed the hatch and spoiler, which must have been around 75 lbs

And I don't need the fuel filler door or hose anymore

Once I had cut the top off, I enlisted help to lift it off



We figure the roof weighs 50-60 lbs


I lost a lot of structural strength when I cut out the top bars but I'll make that up with door bars. When I pile up everything that I removed, it weighs about 200 lbs. Of course some of that will go back in with the door bars and boot lid but I still have the door structure, hinges and latches to cut out.

No comments:

Post a Comment