Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Measuring Center of Gravity (CG)

To properly calculate suspension set up, I needed to get an accurate measurement for the center of gravity. This proved both easier and more difficult than planned to figure out, here's how I did it:


I put the car on the scales and  inflated all four tires to the maximum recommended safe pressure of 40 psi. My total front weight was 1115 lbs with me in the car.
I had built some heavy duty steel stands that are exactly 12 inches high and put them under the rear of the car, with the scales on top of them. I got back in the car and noted the total front weight again-it was now 1135 lbs.
Longacre has a neat calculator on their website and all I had to do was punch in the numbers and it told me what my CG is. It calculated that my CG is 17.35" from the ground. Here is the link: Longacre racing website

No comments:

Post a Comment