Wednesday, January 18, 2012

New Steering arms

I plugged all the numbers for my steering into my Speed-Wiz program and it told me that I was not getting any Ackerman. Basically, Ackerman is when the inside front tire turns sharper than the outside front tire when going around a sharp turn. It is not as important on a road course as it is in autocross where the turns are much sharper. Changing Ackerman is not easy and is usually done by repositioning the steering rack or changing the length of the steering arms. I needed to move my steering rack back to improve Ackerman but that was not possible without a redesign of the front suspension. I decided to lengthen the steering arms.
I removed the MGB arms and used them to build a template with an adjustable hole where the tire rod end goes.

I used tubing with a 1/2" thick wall

And 1/2" thick flat bar for the in between areas. Here it all is, trimmed and ready for welding and 1 inch longer than the old arm.

Once welded I used a tapered reaming tool to get the hole where the tie rod bolts just right.

Sorry about the sideways picture. Painted and installed on the car. Now I can turn the wheels all the way and still move the car by hand. I can't wait to drive it.

1 comment: