Thursday, January 5, 2012

More improvements to rear suspension

After everything was bolted in, I discovered that I couldn't quite use all the range in my roll center adjustment and moving it up and down was cumbersome with the diffuser bolted on. I decided to change all that at once.
I began by fabricating a new crossmember out of 1/8" steel, here it is all tacked together ready for welding. I made the curves using a 5 gallon bucket.

Here it is welded in. I used some square tube that tightly slid inside the old and new crossmembers to tie them together better. I also added a screw jack (visible in the center of the pic) that runs down to a bracket attached to the pivot of the Woblink, allowing a roll center change with the turn of a screw.

I had to put a bracket from where the rod attaches to the axle to eliminate some unwanted flex. Since I weighed the car last I have added a heavier battery, eliminated both sway bars, added a tachometer and changed the whole rear suspension and the result is a 108 lb increase in weight. This is not a welcome change but I think the benefits of those changes will overcome the extra pork.

No comments:

Post a Comment