Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Air Cleaners

I ordered 4 round K&N air filters for the Stromberg 175CD carbs but when they arrived, I discovered that the roll cage interferes with the rear air cleaners. I decided to build my own housings out of aluminum using 2 oval K&N air cleaners.

I cut two pieces of plywood in the profile of the air cleaner to use as a template

Then cut some sheet aluminum a little larger than the template




I clamped the aluminum between the plywood pieces

Then hammered the aluminum over


 
Then was left with this, which needs some cleaning up but is the start of an air cleaner housing


I made a second one and now I have a completed air cleaner housing. I may use this technique to make a new back piece for the round air cleaners I also have so I can use those, stay tuned.




I went with my original plan of 4 round air cleaners. The one on the right had to have it's rear mounting plate modified to move the air cleaner up and clear the tube. I will eventually be changing to something that won't get flooded by splash from the tires, but this will work for dry days.




No comments:

Post a Comment