Friday, January 14, 2011

Oxygen Sensors

I once had a Porsche 911 with Weber IDA carbs. I spent many, many hours attempting to tune the carbs by making tweaks then taking the car for a drive and making more adjustments. The car was powerful but it never ran perfect and I always thought that it was as good as it was going to get, until I put it on a dyno. Brian from Wall's Rod and Custom suggested I put wide band oxygen sensors on the car so we could see what was going on with the mixture while on the dyno. We quickly discovered that the left and right carbs were not syncronized and that there was a large vacuum leak from the brake booster. I corrected all the problems and using the oxygen sensors and dyno, I was able to get the jetting perfect. Not only did the car pick up a bunch of horsepower and torque but it suddenly became to most driveable carburetted car I have ever driven. The MGB has 4 carbs so I welded oxygen sensor bungs in each of the 4 pipes coming off the manifolds so we will be able to see precisely what is going on with the mixture on each carb.


No comments:

Post a Comment