Friday, January 14, 2011

Carb Rebuild

I ordered 4 Stromberg 175CD rebuild kits from Moss Motors and took the carbs off the engine. I am familiar with Webers but not Strombergs so I followed the directions from this site: http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/technical.htm

I should have taken more pictures of this process but I didn't and the carbs are all back together and on the car now.

I found a number of problems including wrong float levels, plugged temperature comensator valves and torn bypass valves.  This picture shows one of the temperature compensator valves, the circular area in the middle is a hole that is supposed to be open but it was plugged with soot or sludge. I also discovered that vacuum lines were incorrectly routed, making the bypass valves non-functional. This may have been a "fix" done by a mechanic many years ago because two of the four bypass valves were torn. The car starts and settles down to a nice idle almost immediately now, where before it had to be up to operating temperature before it would run without the choke on.

No comments:

Post a Comment