Friday, April 1, 2011

Bodywork and paint-part 2


Spent 2 hours grinding the old bondo off the passenger rear fender. It was at least 1/4" thick from the taillight to the door, that's gotta weigh something. The fender was mangled.

Another angle, look at all the ripples. I smoothed them out as much as possible to minimize the amount of bondo I will have to use.

When I ground the filler away from this area, there was a piece of galvanized metal riveted to a rusty piece of metal. I made a new piece and welded it in. Unlike the original piece, I made this one with a piece going towards the frame so it is rigid.

I cut out both wheel wells today because I made them out of steel and aluminum ones will be a lot lighter.

Here is the fender with a little bit of filler on it. It's not completely sanded yet.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, looks great. I didn't get a chance to look at it today, but it looks like you got some good work done on it. Don't you love finding other people's backyard body work attempts?

    ReplyDelete