Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Front Sway Bar

As great as the car felt last weekend, looking at pictures of it on course showed me that the Pink Panther suffers from a little too much body roll. I did not have a front sway bar so I decided to mount one.
Here is the stock MGB-GT front sway bar, which happens to be correct for the car

The ends use a rubber bushing but they are too soft for this application

So I pressed them out

And pressed in an aluminum replacement

For the mounts I picked up some .75" x 1.25" aluminum and cut it 3" long

Then drilled holes to bolt to the car and one that is .625"-the same size as the sway bar

Then I sliced it across to make two halves that clamp over the bar

I still need a place to bolt the mounts so I also picked up this aluminum angle and cut it into 3" pieces

Here is the mount bolted to the angle. Notice I stamped a 1 into the mount, this is to ensure I don't mix up any of the pieces

And here is the bar bolted to the mounts


There are thin washers between the two halves to provide the right amount of tension on the sway bar

And the end links are just .75" square tube with a right hand and left hand nut welded on the ends, and the appropriate Heim joints. The piece attached to the lower heim joint attaches to the lower wishbone on the front suspension.



Installed on the car

No comments:

Post a Comment