Friday, May 27, 2011

Testing the improvements

I had a very bumpy abandoned runway to test out my changes the other day. The new front sway bar and changes to the rear motion ratio seem to have done exactly what was expected-there is much less body roll and quicker reacting handling but it's also less forgiving. I went from full soft to full hard on high speed compression and the car felt most controlled somewhere in the middle. I tried stiffening low speed compression on the back only and the car went from planted to tail happy pretty quickly. Full stiff on the rebound seemed to reduce traction but adjusting to the middle felt right. I suspect the whole set-up is just a little too stiff for the very bumpy surface but I'm pretty optimistic for Nationals. I am concerned about the lack of traction off the line and under hard braking. The car has 93% anti-squat and I can raise or lower that with an adjustment of the top bars on the 4 link, I think I want to try lowering the AS number to improve braking performance. I also have an oil leak and the back of the rear spoiler and expansion chamber of the diffuser seem to have sucked up every drop of it-a good sign that the aero is working, I think. And it looks like I will have to vacuum out the interior of the car after every event because it fills up with small rocks kicked up by the slicks. Here are a couple of short videos, pardon the audio, I forgot to plug in a mic:
acceleration test  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yqpc0-8k8U
slalom test  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZPos62DFw0

No comments:

Post a Comment