Saturday, May 21, 2011

Oil Cooler

I may need an oil cooler but don't want to run one if I don't have to because of the extra weight right on the nose of the car. I bought a stock XK12 oil cooler off e-bay and it just happens to be the same width as the radiator I have in the car. The problem is that I have no place to mount the cooler. I have the space in front of the rad, just nothing to attach it to. I decided to build some prototype pieces that will clamp to the radiator side tanks and once the concept is proven, I can get lighter ones made from aluminum.
The front side of the U shaped clamp with the oil cooler bolted on

The back side of the clamp with a bolt to tighten it and a piece of scrap aluminum to spread the load across the radiator

Here is a shot of the whole oil cooler in front of the radiator

And it's right behind the lower opening in the spoiler for maximum airflow

No comments:

Post a Comment