Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Diffuser

Time for a diffuser. I read a bunch of articles on diffuser theory and opinions vary about angles and specific designs for sedans like my MGB-GT. I decided to be agressive with the angles because the speeds involved are low and the length is limited to 25" by SCCA Solo rules.
I taped some poster board together and used it to form a template to transfer onto to sheet aluminum. Once I had the right lenth and widths figured out, I taped it to the underside of the car to make sure everything cleared.

This is a side plate after it has been cut and the tabs bent.

Here it is riveted to the one side of the diffuser.

Both sides riveted on

Here it is test fit on the car, the coffee can is holding up the front.

For the 3 center strakes, I cut slits in the diffuser and pushed the tabs through and bent them on the opposite side. That way the rivets and tabs will not disturb the airflow.

The diffuser is complete, now I have to fix it in place with quick release pins so I can remove it for loading and unloading on the trailer.

Here it is finally mounted. I moved it forward a few inches because it looks better.
Add caption


The quick release pins so I can take it off for loading/unloading.

No comments:

Post a Comment