Monday, February 14, 2011

Rear Spoiler

A rear diffuser is not effective without a rear spoiler, and the SCCA limits the size of the spoiler in EMod to 10" high at the center, and it can't overhang the bodywork. I took some measurements and ordered some bent .125 aluminum from Tailor-Made manufacturing.
I started off with some poster paper and spent so long cutting, fitting, cutting and fitting that I could hardly stand up straight afterwards.

Once I was satisfied with my template, I transfered it to the piece of aluminum and cut it out with the plasma cutter. There was still a lot of fitting, grinding, cutting and fitting with the aluminum to get it sitting right.

Here it is before being fastened on properly

The end plates act as a support and keep the spoiler at a 55 degree angle. Why 55 degrees? Well, I Googled a lot of spoiler angles for autocross and 45-55 degrees were typical.

I have to remove the bolts on the side to open the hatch but the only thing under there is the rear shock and sway bar adjustments.



It turns out that my spoiler endplates exceeded the 100 square inches that the rules allow, so I trimmed them back.


Since I could no longer use the end plates to fasten the spoiler in place, I made these adjustable rods to hold it at the angle I want.


No comments:

Post a Comment