Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Front Spoiler

I have to balance the front aero out with the back and am not allowed to add winglets or other bits to the front. I am allowed to lower the spoiler and add a splitter as long as it doesn't stick out forward of the cars profile when viewed from above. I installed a fiberglass replica of the "Special Tuning" spoiler that MG made available from the factory, but it is a long ways from the ground. I have seen some racers bolt a strip of rubber between the spoiler and the ground but I haven't yet seen one I liked, so I looked for another solution.

Here is what the front looked like with the Special Tuning spoiler. Way too much air can get under the car. I decided to copy what Toyota did on it's GT-One race car, which was to add a rubber lip behind the visible spoiler which kept air from under the car.

I began by removing the spoiler and welding up a bracket out of thin wall 3/4" square tubing. It bolts to the bottom of the lower radiator supports.

I purchased some 1/2" thick rubber belting from a local supplier and bolted it to the bracket. It's stiff enough to deflect the air but soft enough to bend when it comes into contact with something like a rock or pylon.

And with the spoiler back on, you can't even see it. Air will not go under the car but will get deflected to the side or up through the radiator.

No comments:

Post a Comment