Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Splitter

A splitter helps direct air over the car and keeps air from hitting the grille and being forced down and under the car. EMod rules allow a splitter as long as it does not stick out more than 6 inches from the profile of the car when viewed from above. After looking around at a variety of materials to make the splitter, I chose Alumilite because it is very light and quite strong. Alumilite has a corrugated core sandwiched between two layers of thin aluminum and is available from most sign makers.

This is what Alumilite looks like from the end

I held the sheet of Alumilite up to the spoiler and drew a line 5 inches from the forward edge. This is a little risky because I don't have a bumper yet and am not certain of it's profile. There may be some adjustments needed once I secure a bumper

I cut the Alumilite with a fine tooth blade in a jigsaw

Then I held it back up to the spoiler and put blocks under it to keep it level

These two brackets for the air dam had to be modified so I could bolt the splitter to the air dam mount

Here it is bolted to the top of the air dam mount

Everything bolted back up.

I still have to add some adjustable struts and the edges could be changed because we still have to add fender flares.

No comments:

Post a Comment