Monday, December 6, 2010

Header headaches

I went in at 8:00 this morning to get some work done on the car
before we opened for business and built the drivers side header.
 It was very, very difficult to get all the tubes in there and pointed
 in the right direction and the collector was right up against where
the firewall needed to be. The pic is after I tack welded it but before
 I pulled it out for final welding. I welded as much as possible while
 still on the car then pulled it off to weld the back side, that's when
 the trouble started. There were a bunch of spots where I couldn't
get the welding gun in at the right angle or close enough, resulting in
welds I am ashamed of. Then, when I went to put it back on the car,
some of the flanges had shifted and there was no way to get them lined
up again-a lot of time and money out the window. That's the bad news,
the good news is that this engine doesn't benefit as much as a V8 from
headers because the exhaust pulses are so far apart.



Imagine how hot my sneakers would get!

No comments:

Post a Comment