Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Sway Bar


According to my calculations, the MGB is going to be balanced towards understeer so I decided to install a sway bar on the rear of the car only. I found a sway bar calculator online and punched some numbers into it to figure out what I needed. Here is the calculator
I took some scrap pieces of aluminum, in this case some old kart motor mounts

Then I drilled a .750" hole in them to hold the sway bar in place

And sliced off the unneccesary metal and cut the blocks length wise to create a sway bar mount

Here is the passenger side mount bolted on

And the passenger side

This is looking in from the wheelwell

I cut and drilled some thick pieces of flatbar to act as arms and welded them on. The sway bar itself is hollow tube with a .750" OD and .500" ID

Here it is mounted but I still have to make the drop links that connect the bar to the suspension. Acccording to the sway bar calculator, the 6 holes will add from 69 lb/in to 163 lb/in to the suspension, and this should easily change the balance from undesteer to oversteer. Some in the Modified community say that mild steel works just fine as a sway bar as long as there isn't too much suspension travel, but I plan on taking the bar to get heat treated and turned into spring steel.

No comments:

Post a Comment