Monday, December 6, 2010

Lowered & rear suspension triangulated

 Ok, LOTS to report today. After Friday's big grindfest and weldathon,
 I had the weekend to ponder my work. It was bugging me that I left the
 rear differential brace on and that the 4 link suspension would bind when articulating.
 Then, the guys on the D/EMod Yahoo group pointed out that my 4" of ground clearance
was double what I should be running. I decided to first drop the car to
 2" of ground clearance then see where everything landed up.
Here is the crossmember with 2 1/2" clearance:

The pedalbox with about 2 inches of clearance.

 And finally, I spent 7 hours grinding off and re-welding the work I had
spent 7 hours doing on Friday. I removed the brace (losing several lbs unsprung weight)
 and changed the 4 link/panhard suspension to a triangulated 4 link (with no panhard,
 also unsprung weight). It now articulates nicely and doesn't move side to side at all.
I am only sharing all my mistakes so that people seeing this and building
their own car can avoid the pitfalls.

No comments:

Post a Comment